Knit up some cute heart jewelry.
With a fresh hair colour I found myself dreaming of bold and colourful earrings to wear. Inspiration struck on February 14 and knitted hearts in all the colours popped into my mind, of course! Some trial and error and many hearts later I have created a tutorial for you to make your own knitted hearts to wear as earrings, brooches or hairclips. Use up those teeny-tiny yarn scraps to make these for yourself or to gift to those you heart.
I have created a full video tutorial for this design, scroll down the page to view.
MATERIALS & TOOLS
- Fingering weight yarn: 5 yd/5 m per heart
- Craft wire, approximately 1mm thick; 6.2″/15.5 cm per heart
- Earring hooks/hair clips/brooch backs (I purchased my hooks from here)
- US 3/3.25 mm needles or size required to achieve a firm gauge
- Jewelry tool for wire cutting, bending and clamping
- Hot glue gun
- Tapestry needle
- Sewing needle and thread
Make i-cord: Cast on 5 sts. Do not turn work.
Slide these 5 stitches to the other end of your dpn/circular needle. The working yarn will now be at the “wrong” end of your work. Pull the working yarn tightly across the back of your work and knit all 5 sts.
Repeat this process until the i-cord is 6″/15cm.
Make a heart: refer to the video tutorial, below, for instructions to make the heart.
Wear it on your sleeve, or ears or in your hair: Follow the video tutorial to add your choice of hooks, or back.